Here is a list of 40 new topics that you might find useful if you are preparing for Part 1 of the iBT TOEFL Speaking section. These are all Independent topics of the "open choice" / personal experience or opinion type.
- Who is your best friend? Describe this person and say why he/she is your best friend.
Wang Shiwei is the first name come to my mind when confronted with this question, he and me have a similar background, we are all born in countryside, and our family are both poor, but we all good at studying, and went to the same university. Unlike many young students in China who are seeking a steady and well-paid job. Wang and I have ambitions.
Back to 2002, One night when we are still freshman at university, we talked about what is the utmost purpose of life, and we happened to know that we both agreed that Science is the answer, all our human achievement are based on modern science.
I have never met someone who has the similar understanding of life with me except Wang.
From then on, we kept sharing our reflections of the country, the internet, and many things.
The more we talk and share, the more similarity we found in our dreams. And our friendship becoming stronger.
That is use the weapon of science to make a better world.
This dream has never changed.
Yes, Wang is definitely my best friend. And I think he probably hold the same opinion.
- What is your favorite place to visit on weekends? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite place to go.
The most frequently and favorite place I like to go is my town’s public park.
It has lots of trees, and a large lawn. The government also install some exercise equipment inside. It costs me only 10 minutes to walk to the park from where I live.
The park is not very large, but enough for me to keep in touch with nature. Many citizens like to go to this park like me, so it’s also social connection space. I like to chat with my old friends there. And do exercise together with someone I familiar with also give lots of pleasure.
Obviously, I have been to many places which are beautiful than my town’s park, they may have high mountains, private sea beach. But they are so far from my daily life and impossible to visit in weekends.
Convenient to visit, and familiar with the envirment, some trees, and old friends. That’s all I wanted for a weekend.
- What is your happiest childhood memory? Describe it and give reasons to explain why it is your happiest memory.
- What is your most important possession? Describe it and say why it is so important.
- Talk about a person in your life who has inspired you. Describe the person and explain why you found him/her inspirational.
- Where do most like to go to eat out? Describe this place and say why you like it most.
- Talk about an important national holiday in your home country. Describe it and explain why it is important.
- What is your favorite book or movie? Describe it and say why it is your favorite.
- Who do you feel close to in your family (or extended family)? Describe this person and say why you feel close to him/her.
- Where is a good place to have fun in your city or town? Describe this place and explain why it is fun.
- Talk about an experience in your life that made you feel embarrassed. Describe it and say why it was embarrassing.
- What was your favorite subject at school? Describe it and explain why this subject was your favorite one.
- Who is an important person in your country? Describe this person and explain why he/she is important.
- Talk about an interesting tourist attraction you have been to. Describe it and say why it was interesting.
- Talk about a time when you experienced success. Describe the experience and say why it was a success for you.
- What is your favorite style of clothing? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite.
- Name a person whom you truly admire. Describe the person and say why you admire him/her.
- Think of a place that makes you feel relaxed and peaceful. Describe it and explain why it is relaxing and peaceful for you.
- Talk about a difficulty you have overcome in your life. Describe the experience and say why it was difficult to overcome.
- What is your most useful study aid? Describe it and explain why it is useful in helping you to study.
- Talk about a teacher who had a positive influence on you. Describe this person and explain why he/she was so influential to you.
- Where is your favorite place to study? Describe this place and say why it is a good place for you to study.
- Talk about a positive experience with learning or using English. Describe the experience and say why it was a positive one.
- What is your favorite kind of food? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite.
- Name a famous or influential figure who has inspired you. Describe this person and say why he/she has been inspirational to you.
- Which place has fond memories for you? Describe this place and explain why it is memorable to you.
- When have you been happily surprised by something? Describe the experience and say why the surprise was a happy one for you.
- Describe a resource that helped you to do something better than before. Describe it and explain why it was helpful to you.
- Describe a person from your country’s history. Why do you think this person was important?
- Where would you like to go to spend a vacation? Describe this place and say why you would like to holiday there.
- Talk about something you and your family enjoy doing together. Describe it and explain why you all enjoy it.
- What is your favorite recreational activity? Describe it and say why you enjoy doing it.
- Who is the most intelligent person you know? Describe the person and say why you think he/she is intelligent.
- Where would you most like to live? Describe this place and explain why you would like to live there.
- What is your favorite season of the year? Describe the season and explain why you like it so much.
- What custom from your home country are you most fond of? Describe the custom and explain why you are fond of it.
- Which person are you most likely to go to with a personal problem? Describe this person and say why you would go to him/her in particular.
- Name a place in your country you would recommend others to visit. Describe this place and explain why you would recommend it.
- Talk about an event from the past that you would like to relive. Describe the original event and say why you would like to relive it.
- What is your favorite way of getting around? Describe it and explain why it is your favorite means of transportation.